How do I know if I have asbestos or lead in my home?

Neither asbestos nor lead can be detected through normal human senses. Samples should be taken by a certified industrial hygienist and tested by a qualified laboratory to determine the presence of asbestos or lead in your home.

 

What are the health risks of asbestos?

Asbestos has been classified as a human carcinogen by a number of U.S. Government agencies (HHS, EPA and IARC). A carcinogen is a cancer-causing agent. Asbestos has been linked to mesothelioma, lung, larynx and ovary cancer as well as serious respiratory infections and diseases. Read more about asbestos: CDPHE-Asbestos

 

I am remodeling my house. Do I need to be concerned about asbestos in building material?

It is important to know and understand if there is asbestos in your home. Asbestos is a highly regulated material in Colorado and must be disposed of properly. It is illegal to dispose of asbestos containing materials in any way other than what is approved by CDPHE. It is important to get all suspect building materials tested, removed and disposed of properly.

 

Should I remove lead paint myself?

Removing lead paint can cause a greater health hazard to you and your family. Scraping, sanding, heating, chemical removal and other methods can cause lead particles to rapidly disperse into the air that you and your family breathe. Lead is especially harmful to children. Read more about lead: CDPHE-Lead

 

What causes mold growth?

There are up to 300,000 different types of mold worldwide and each of them require a unique environment to thrive. Generally, mold grows best in warm, damp areas that lack ventilation. After mold has been safely removed, the conditions causing the mold should be addressed. Read more about mold: https://www.epa.gov/mold 

 

What kind of damage can mold do to your home?

Mold can eat away at the surfaces it lives on and damage can be extensive. In severe cases, mold can cause structural damage and make the home uninhabitable due to health risks. In smaller amounts it can ruin ventilation systems, carpeting, furniture, drywall and household items.